Sunday, November 11, 2012

Homemade Refrigerator Cookies

My parents are visiting this weekend and my Mom brought a few family cookbooks. My Grandmother wrote in the San Diego Gas & Electric Company cookbook, "Christmas Time is.... Cookie Time, Too" saying she made the Vanilla Refrigerator cookies often (and many variations) for neighbors and friends. My Grandmother picked up the cookbook sometime between 1959 and 1961 while my Grandpa was stationed in southern California.

We made a batch of cookies and they were gone before we could make a plate for our neighbors! I'm going to try the almond flavor next time. I have a feeling this recipe is going to become a staple as it was for my Mom growing up. I like the idea of making a big batch and then baking one dozen at a time as desired. It's the convenience of the grocery store refrigerator cookies with homemade taste and love.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup sugar, or 1/2 cup each granulated and brown sugar, packed
1 egg
2 - 3 teaspoons vanilla or almond flavoring
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Directions:
Sift together first 3 ingredients. Mix, until creamy, shortening, sugar, egg and vanilla. Gradually add flour mixture, nuts; mix well. Turn dough onto large piece of waxed paper. Shape into roll 2 inches in diameter. Chill several hours, overnight, or several weeks. Slice dough 1/8 inch - 1/4 inch thick. Slice off only what you need; return unsliced dough to refrigerator or freezer and bake later as needed. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in preheated oven at 375 degrees F for 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment